Endocrinology is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment of conditions affecting the endocrine system. The endocrine system is the system of glands in an organism that secrete hormones directly into the circulatory system to be carried towards target organs.
A medical professional who practices in endocrinology is called an endocrinologist. Also, a sub-specialty of endocrinology is devoted to the management of diabetes conditions, such specialists are known as diabetologists.
Endocrinologists and diabetologists treat a range of conditions including but not limited to:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Thyroid disease
- Lipid disorders
- Endocrine disorders of the reproductive system, e.g. polycystic ovary syndrome
- Adrenal disease
- Bone and calcium disorders
- Pituitary disease
- Endocrine late effects of cancer treatment
Endocrinology and diabetes management are largely outpatient specialties, although some associated conditions will require inpatient care.
You can use your private medical insurance or pay for your Endocrinology treatment. We offer competitive, fixed price packages as well as the ability to spread the cost of your treatment over a number of months. If you are using your health insurance, please contact your insurer first for approval and let them know you’d like to be treated at One Ashford Hospital
Why One Ashford Hospital
- Access to leading Consultants within 48 hours*
- Spread the cost with finance**
- Competitive fixed-price packages
- Modern purpose-built hospital
- Private, spacious, ensuite rooms
- Specialist Physiotherapy and nursing teams
- Little waiting time for surgery
- Calm, dignified experience
*Dependent on Consultant availability
**Terms and conditions apply