Hospital: One Ashford Hospital
Tel: 01233 423 303
Contact the Hospital About Mr Andrew Smith
Mr Andrew Smith
MBBS; BSc; MSc; FRCS (Orth)
Consultant Orthopaedic Hand Surgeon
- Hand surgery and his elective practice is confined to hand, wrist and elbow conditions
- Peripheral nerve problems including Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel syndromes
- Dupuytren’s disease including needle fasciotomy
- Arthritis of the hand, wrist and thumb base including finger joint replacement
- Ganglions and other lumps in the hand and wrist
- Trigger finger and thumb
- Orthopaedic hand and wrist surgery
After finishing medical school at at Kings College London, Mr Smith completed his basic surgical training in London and the south east. He spent time in neurosurgery, vascular and plastic surgery, as well as Orthopaedics.
He completed his higher specialist trauma and orthopaedic training in the South East Thames training programme. This was followed by a years’ Fellowship in hand and microsurgery at the Kleinert Institute, Louisville, USA. He has been appointed as a substantive Consultant since 2005.
Outside of work Mr Smith enjoys keeping fit and has completed four Iron Man long distance triathlons, as well as long distance cycling events.
Memberships & Associations
- The British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Faculty Hand & Wrist Group AO (UK)
Mr Smith has a strong interest in process/procedure improvement and patient experience. He has acted as Principle Investigator for 2 large prospective multi-centre randomised trials and maintains a strong interest in training. He is part of the UK AO Hand and Wrist Trauma teaching group.
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust