Hearing loss is categorised into three different types. Sensorineural hearing loss is the most common and occurs when the inner ear nerves and hair cells are damaged, perhaps due to ageing, genetics, exposure to loud noise or viral infections. Conductive hearing loss is typically the result of obstructions in the outer or middle ear, perhaps due to fluid, earwax or abnormal growths. And finally mixed hearing loss, a combination of sensorineural and conductive hearing loss. The level of hearing loss is categorised as mild, moderate, severe and profound. Hearing loss can be temporary or permanent. It often comes on gradually as you get older, but it can sometimes happen suddenly.
Diagnosing hearing loss
It’s not always easy to tell if you’re losing your hearing when it comes on gradually, and the signs can be slightly different if you only have hearing loss in just one ear or if a young child has hearing loss.
The common signs are:
- You frequently ask others to repeat themselves
- You turn the TV to a volume others find loud
- You have trouble understanding conversations in noisy places
- You have difficulty hearing women and children’s voices
- You feel like others are mumbling
- You have trouble hearing on the phone
- You avoid social situations that were once enjoyable
- You have ringing in your ears
- You are told by others that you have hearing loss
A specialist can do Children’s Hearing Tests or Adult Hearing Tests and a full assessment. When a diagnosis has been reached they can discuss possible treatments or a Hearing Loss Management plan with you.
You can use your private medical insurance or pay for your Deafness treatment. We offer competitive, fixed price packages as well as the ability to spread your cost with the option of 0% finance. If you are using your health insurance please do contact your insurer first for approval and let them know you’d like to be treated at One Hatfield Hospital.
Why One Hatfield
- Modern purpose-built hospital opened in December 2017
- Fast access to diagnostics including MRI, Xray and Ultrasound
- Private, spacious, en-suite rooms
- Specialist physiotherapy and nursing teams
- Little or no waiting time
- ‘Ultra clean air’ theatres
- Freshly prepared food
- Calm, dignified experience
Contact us and find out more
If you are based in and around Hertfordshire, St Albans, Stevenage, Watford, North London, Welwyn or Bedfordshire and would like to visit the One Hatfield Hospital please click here.
Ear, Nose and Throat Pricing Guide at One Hatfield Hospital
This is a list of guide prices for some of common Ear, Nose and Throat treatments and procedures.
|Treatment||Guide Price||Monthly from|
|Insertion of Grommet (Adult)||£2,013||£44.98|
|Insertion of Grommet (Child)||£2,358||£52.69|