Cardiology is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment of conditions related to defects of the heart and blood vessels (the cardiovascular system).
A medical professional who practices in cardiology is called a Cardiologist. Cardiologists treat a range of conditions including but not limited to:
- Angina (chest pain caused by narrowing of the coronary arteries)
- Arrhythmias, e.g. atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat)
- Heart murmurs due to heart valve disease
- Cardiomyopathy (disease of the heart muscle) with heart failure including pulmonary oedema (accumulation of fluid)
- Coronary artery thrombosis or myocardial infarction (heart attack) often associated with high blood pressure (hypertension) and high cholesterol
- Diseases of the arteries (atherosclerosis, arteritis, atheroma)
- Hole in the heart and other forms of congenital heart disease within adult life including transition from paediatric care and shared care of pregnant women with heart disease
Much of the work in Cardiology involves improving survival rates for patients and improving quality of life following heart attacks, heart failure, or heart rhythm disorders. However, Cardiologists are also concerned with understanding the disease process and disease prevention.
This speciality is at the leading edge of new therapeutic and technological advances in medicine and emergency treatment.
You can use your private medical insurance or pay for your Cardiology Services treatment. We offer competitive, fixed price packages as well as the ability to spread your cost with the option of 0% finance. If you are using your health insurance please do contact your insurer first for approval and let them know you’d like to be treated at One Ashford Hospital
Why One Ashford Hospital
- Access to leading Consultants within 48 hours*
- 0% and low interest finance options**
- Competitive fixed-price packages
- Modern purpose-built hospital
- Fast access to diagnostics including CT, MRI, X-Ray and Ultrasound
- Private, spacious, ensuite rooms
- Specialist Physiotherapy and nursing teams
- Little waiting time for surgery
- Calm, dignified experience
*Dependent on Consultant availability
**Terms and conditions apply