Please read these instructions carefully to help your admission go smoothly and reduce potential delays.
If you are asked to attend a pre-assessment clinic you will be asked about your health and any previous hospital treatment.
- It is important that you tell the pre-assessment Nurse about any ongoing medical condition(s).
- Please provide details of any medication that you are taking (prescribed, herbal, over the counter or purchased online).
Your admission letter will explain what you need to do before coming into hospital.
To prepare in advance:
- Check your admission date.
- Continue to take all your regular prescribed medication unless otherwise directed by your Consultant or pre-assessment Nurse.
- If you are having a general anaesthetic or sedation, arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you home and to stay with you for 24 hours following your operation.
- If you are unable to arrange for a responsible level of care and support, contact the Reservations Department on 01233 423 000 at least 48 hours before your admission.
Before your surgery with sedation or general anaesthetic, you must have an empty stomach prior to your procedure.
It is important for you to follow these instructions:
- Please DO NOT have anything to eat for at least 6 hours before surgery and clear fluids only 2 hours before surgery (you must not suck mints/sweets or chew gum).
- Before the procedure, please take your medication at your regular time with a small sip of water unless instructed by the pre-assessment or Consultant.
- If you wear dentures these can remain in place providing that they are well fitted (your anaesthetist may ask you remove these).
What to bring with you:
- Loose fitting nightwear
- Dressing gown and fully enclosed slippers
- Toiletries including toothbrush, toothpaste or denture cleaner
- Books and magazines
- Any relevant X-rays or scans either on film or CD (if taken at another hospital)
- Any medication in original labelled containers and the most recent GP printout of your medications
- Spectacles and case and/or contact lenses and case
- Hearing aid / small denture pot (if applicable)
- Your insurance or payment details
Please do not bring:
- Large sums of money
- Valuable jewellery
- Alcohol or recreational drugs
- Cigarettes, e-cigarettes or other tobacco products
On the day of your stay:
- Remove all nail varnish and any false nails
- Do not drink alcohol for 24 hours before your procedure as this may affect your anaesthetic