Hospital: One Ashford Hospital
Tel: 01233 423000
Contact the Hospital About Mr Jai Relwani
Mr Jai Relwani
Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon; Clinical Lead, Shoulder & Elbow Service
Shoulder Surgery – Keyhole or Open ( Impingement, Rotator cuff tears, Frozen shoulder, Dislocations, AC joint reconstruction, Arthritis, Trauma/fracture reconstruction, Shoulder replacement including Reverse Shoulder and Revision surgery)
Elbow surgery – Keyhole or Open ( Arthritis, Tennis/Golfers elbow, Ulnar nerve disorders, Elbow arthroscopy, Elbow replacements).
Computer assisted shoulder and knee surgery
Hip and Knee replacement
Shoulder and Elbow Surgery particularly Keyhole reconstructions, Hip and Knee surgery, Trauma surgery
Mr Jai Relwani underwent his postgraduate orthopaedic training on the Guy’s and St Thomas rotation in London. He then completed the prestigious Reading Shoulder Fellowship programme (2007-2008), following which he was appointed to the position of Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the East Kent Hospitals University Foundation Trust in Ashford and Canterbury, Kent.
Mr Relwani was the recipient of the prestigious North American Travelling Fellowship in 2008-09, granted by the British Elbow and Shoulder Society. He also has a Lower Limb Fellowship to his credit.
Mr Relwani teaches as faculty for advanced keyhole surgery and joint replacement surgery. He has several publications in peer reviewed journals and text books, and designed and performed the first ever computer-assisted shoulder replacement.
His expertise includes the treatment of bone and joint disorders. He has a specialist interest in shoulder and elbow disorders, using the most modern keyhole surgical techniques, surgery for arthritis of the shoulder and elbow, and treatment of allied conditions of the upper limb.
Secretary : Jackie Osborne
Ph – 01233616279 / 07717081746
Email – Jackie@office-aide.co.uk
I enjoy travelling with my family. Hobbies include the gym, swimming and cricket.
1. Sivan Sivaloganathan, Romel Amr, Raj Shrivastava and Jaikumar Relwani. The Risotto sign – a severe inflammatory bursitis with rice body formation, complicating a rotator cuff repair with a bioabsorbable suture anchor. JRSM Open January 2015;6: 2054270414562986, doi:10.1177/2054270414562986.
2. Atoun, Ehud, Alexander Van Tongel, Nir Hous, Ali Narvani, Jai Relwani, Ruben Abraham, and Ofer Levy. “Reverse shoulder arthroplasty with a short metaphyseal humeral stem.” International Orthopaedics (2014): 1-6.
3. Ofer Levy, Ehud Atoun, Ali Narvani, Ruben Abraham, Nir Hous, Tirtza Even, Jai Relwani, Stephen A. Copeland, Giuseppe Sforza, Alexander Van Tongel, Does Reverse Shoulder Need a Stem? 2–7 Years Follow-Up with Stemless Reversed Total Shoulder Prosthesis, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Volume 22, Issue 4, April 2013, Pages e32-e33, ISSN 1058-2746, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2012.12.021.
1. ‘Keeping the Shoulder Arthroscopy Patient Dry. A Technical Note. Amr R, Relwani J, Tanton E. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons Nov 2011Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011 Nov;93(8):649
4. Stemless-Metaphyseal Reversed Prosthesis for Arthropathy with Severe Cuff Deficiency: 2–4 Years Results A. Narvani, N. Hous, R. Abrahams, J. Relwani, T. Even, S. Copeland, O. LevyJournal of Biomechanics
Volume 43, Supplement 1, June 2010, Pages S33
1. The active elevation lag sign and the triangle sign: New clinical signs of trapezius palsy . Ofer Levy, Jaikumar G. Relwani, Hannan Mullett, Omar Haddo, Tirtza Even. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
July 2009 (Vol. 18, Issue 4, Pages 573-576)
1. Jaiswal A, Thakur R, Relwani J, et al. Spontaneous displacement of olecranon fracture through geode salvaged by elbow replacement.
Rheumatol Int 2009 Jun 4. 0172-8172 (Print) 1437-160X (Online)
2. Stephen Copeland, Jai Relwani: Surface Replacement Arthroplasty of the Shoulder – Oxford Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma 2ndEdition
3. Ravi Sastry, Jai G Relwani and Sudipta Purkayastha: Principles of Fracture Classification and Management. – Hospital Surgery: Foundations in Surgical Practice 978-0-521-68205-3 – Cambridge University Press. Edited by Omer Aziz, Sanjay Purkayastha and Paraskevas Paraskeva
4. AA Shetty, A Tindall, KD James, J Relwani, KW Fernando – Accuracy of handheld ultrasound in detecting meniscal tears – a comparison between ultrasound and MRI; using arthroscopy as the gold standard JBJS B, Volume 90, Issue 8, 2008.
5. S. Copeland, J Relwani: The Humeral Head Resurfacing; Indications, Technique and Results. Book Chapter- Arthritis and Arthroplasty: The Shoulder Eds: David Dines MD, Gerald Williams, Jr. MD, and Cato Laurencin MD
6. Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty – A Perspective of Computer Assisted Navigation Surgery. – Shetty AA, J Relwani, KD James, G. Groom. Submitted Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons Sep 2007.
7. Levy O, Relwani J, Zaman T, B Venkat, Even T, Copeland S: In vivo rotator cuff blood flow measurement using LDF –JBJS-B, Volume 90, Issue 7, 2008
8. K. Kulendra, J Relwani, K Borowsky: Unilateral Superomedial Avulsion Fracture of the Scapula – A Case Report. J.Orthopaedics 2007;4(2)e6, ISSN 0972-978X
9. J Relwani, I Nikolopoulous, R Turner, T Turnbull, M Brooks: Luxatio Erecta in an Adolescent with Axillary Artery and Brachial Plexus Injury – Injury May 2007, doi:10.1016/j.injury.2007.03.027
10. J Relwani, R. Sastry, KD James, AA Shetty: – Computer-assisted Patellofemoral arthroplasty: MIS technique to optimise femoral component rotation – STOPP 2007
11. J Relwani, L Lafosse, B Toussaint, C Kakuda – An extended endoscopic perspective of the peri-articular spaces of the shoulder– STOPP 2007.
12. J Relwani, R. Sastry, KD James, AA Shetty: – Computer-assisted Patellofemoral arthroplasty: Surgical technique to optimise femoral component rotation-Accepted for publication as abstract in the JBJS –B (through CAOS UK).
13. KD James, R. Sastry, J Relwani, AA Shetty – Ultrasound in the diagnosis of meniscal injuries in the knee. STOPP, Jan 2006.
14. Minoru Soyama Kakuda C, Spennacchio P, Toussaint B, Lejeune E, Relwani J, Gheduzzi C, Lafosse L. [Arthroscopic diagnosis and treatment of the HAGL lesion: surgical technique.]Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2006 Dec;92 (8 Suppl):74. PMID: 17245299
15. J.Relwani, W.Ogufere, S.Orakwe: Subacromial lipoma- an unusual cause of rotator cuff impingement [Journal Article] – Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Mar/Apr 03, Vol 12/2 pp202-3
16. J. Relwani, D. Factor, F. Khan, A. Dutta: Giant cell tumor of the patellar tendon sheath—an unusual cause of anterior knee pain. The Knee, 10 (Apr2003) 145–148
17. Relwani J. Lahoti O. Orakwe S. Ilizarov ring fixator for ankle syndesmosis disruption. [Journal Article] Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery. 41(5): 335-7, 2002 Sep
18. A.Chopda, V.Billampelly, J. Relwani, J. Patil: Prevalence of Rheumatic Diseases in a Rural Population in Western India: A WHO-ILAR COPCORD Study. Published in JAPI,Vol.49,Feb 2001, 240-246
19. A.Chopda, V.Billampelly, J. Relwani, J. Patil. “The Bhigwan Community Oriented Prevention and Control of Rheumatic Disorders: Methodology and first information report.” (Published in the APLAR Journal of Rheumatology. Vol 1. No 1. September 1997, 145.154.)
20. JRelwani, A. Dutta, W. Scott, S. Crabtree – Uncemented acetabular replacement in the eighth and ninth decades of life- a 7 to 15 year follow-up: STOPP 2001.